Updated: Dec 26, 2020
1. Wash and soak 1 cup dal for 6 hours or overnight
2. Once the dal is soaked well, wash it again with clean water.
3. In a mixer jar, add the soaked dal, 2 green chilies, 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, 2 inches ginger, salt
and grind it.
4. Do not add water while grinding.
5. If you are unable to grind the mixture into a fine paste, you could add water bit by bit and grind.
6. Once this mixture is ready, heat oil in a wok/Kadai and add small portions of this mixture.
7. Cook them on the medium-low flame as frying the vada on the high flame will make them crispy.
8. Once all the vada are fried, let them cool a bit until they are lukewarm.
9. Meanwhile, in another container, add 3 glasses of water with a pinch of asafoetida
10. Soak these vada in the water for 2-3 minutes and remove immediately once soaked.
For Dahi, YOU NEED TO
1. Take 1 cup of curd and whisk it until it is creamy. Add water if it is too thick.
2. To this mixture, add 1 teaspoon cumin powder, 1 teaspoon chat masala, ½ teaspoon salt and
table salt (as per taste).2Teaspoon sugar
3. Mix well and keep it aside
For Sweet Chutney you need
1. Soak a 1-inch ball of tamarind in ½ cup of hot water for 10-15 mins.
2. In a saucepan, add 2 teaspoons of oil.
3. Once the oil heats, add ½ teaspoon of – mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, carrom
seeds, black caraway seeds.
4. To this, add the tamarind pulp, a pinch of red chili powder, a pinch of salt, and 1 tablespoon of
5. Let this mixture boil and ensure that all the jaggery is dissolved.
6. Switch off the gas after 4 mins.
For Green Chutney
1. In the chutney mixer jar, add a handful of coriander leaves, an equal amount of mint leaves, 1 garlic
clove, 2 green chilies, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons of curd, and finely grind it.
1. Take the vada in a bowl or a small plate.
2. Add the curd mixture to it.
3. Add the sweet chutney and green chutney as per taste and serve.
4. You could also add sev and pomegranate seeds for garnishing (optional)